The headboards can be purchased at a furniture store. They can also be done by hand with plywood, foam and fabric. These headers are popular in many homes because they are soft to support and easily personalized. The headers are held sometimes directly to the wall. However, many upholstered headboard are attached directly to the bed frame. Attach the header to the frame is not difficult and can usually be done in less than an hour.
- Place the upholstered headboard behind the bed frame. Have a partner hold your head while you work.
- Remove the mattress and box spring bed frame.
- Align the head with holes for bolts under the bed.
- Make holes in the legs of the upholstered headboard if done by hand. With the header aligned to the bed frame, mark the holes for bolts in the legs. Use a drill and drill bit to make holes.
- Slide bolts paw header and the bed frame. If the bolts are permanently attached to the header, simply slide the bed frame on the bolts.
- Place a washer on the end of each bolt. Screw the nuts on the bolts and adjust them with a wrench.
- Passes across the head and repeat. Sets the bed frame and head to where you want.